Ok…..so as many of you have figured out by now, I am participating in NaBloPoMo (national blog posting month) by being a part of a group of bloggers referred to as the Peppers or…. Nano Poblano. I have decided to do this in an effort to stretch my writing topics a bit. So today I will take one of the writing prompts and run with it. Of course, the first one I chose was a list…..since I am a habitual list writer, I thought it would be fitting.
* Lists help people organize their lives. Write a list of ten things that amaze you.
1. Aging : It has always amazed me how much of a hurry everyone is to be an adult. This isn’t a new amazement….I even felt this way as a kid. I don’t know if it was growing up in a single parent household from the age of 2, seeing the challenges my parents went through, watching my dad work 2 jobs…..or if I was just smarter than my years. I always knew that being an adult would suck…..and I was right. Although it has a few benefits, I would much rather live in my stress free childhood of the 80’s.
2. Ignorance : In this world that we live in, with knowledge at our finger tips, it amazes me that people choose to be ignorant. People either refuse to educate themselves or they think that their way of thinking is the only way.
3. Weather : It amazes me and scares me at the same time. It is something that is completely beyond our control and still not within our understanding. You are more likely to have a tornado or a hurricane wipe out your livelihood than you are of catching Ebola, people.
4. Environment : This didn’t start hitting me until I really stepped out of my northeastern comfort zone. I have always been a lover of people and lifestyles. It has always interested me to see how people all over the world live such drastically different lives……but I was never so amazed as when I moved to the southeast. I never considered another part of the United States to be a different world….but it is.
5. Musicians: More specifically, songwriters. I have the ability to be creative. There are many art forms to which I find a way to express myself, but I have always admired and been amazed by songwriters. That they can take a simple life experience…..experiences that we have all had, and turn it into a work of art that resonates with people from all walks of life , is a wonderous thing.
6. Technology : Do you ever think about how far we have come in such a short time? It amazes me that we have come farther in the past 100 years than we had for thousands of years before. I don’t even think it is because we are smarter now than our ancestors were…..I just think we accept genius and admire it instead of locking it in an asylum.
7. The Brain : I wasn’t necessarily impacted by this until I had my son. He started with OCD tendencies at the age of 3…..and our world declined from there ending up with a bipolar diagnosis at the age of 12. Every day I am amazed at how the brain functions….or sometimes malfunctions. I am in awe at how a simple fear can be turned into an anxiety attack or how a simple pleasure can lead to a manic episode.
8. Medicine : This kind of goes hand in hand with my amazement with technology. Although we have a long way to go in figuring out things like mental illness or diabetes, we have come so far in treatment or eradication of so many other illnesses.
9. The Ocean : The vast amount of water that is the ocean amazes me. The juxtaposition of being devastating in a storm, but calming on a beautiful day can sometimes overwhelms me. It is the epitome of dangerous beauty.
10. My son : I think it’s amazement…….. with an added touch of frustration. 🙂 I wonder at my son’s kindness and sensitivity to people around him (outside this house of course). He can be so conscientious and caring with adults and children alike. He is funny and creative and loving. I know he saves any frustrations he faces during the day for those who love him the most…..but it amazes me that he is able to control those frustrations for the outside world and put on a brave face, in spite of the torment that is going on inside his brain.
There are so many other things in this world that amaze me……but the prompt only asked for 10….so, here you go. 🙂